This week, we can not have a pet of the week as the Cayman Islands Humane Society shelter is under severe pressure. The shelter is holding 52 puppies. That does not include adult dogs, just puppies.
Sadly the Cat Room has had to be closed down as a case of cat flu has hit the felines.
What is Cat Flu?
According to the Blue Cross for Pets, Cat flu is like a human cold. It can cause a runny nose and eyes, and a sore throat. Other symptoms include aches and pains in the muscles and joints, mouth ulcers, dribbling, sneezing, loss of voice and fever. Cat flu is not usually serious in adult cats, although they can be quite ill. cat flu though can be fatal in kittens.
How Many Puppies?
52 puppies are way too many, especially in the Cayman Islands Humane Society shelter. These puppies need to be fostered until they can be transferred to other shelters in the USA that do not have the overcrowding problems we have here in the Cayman Islands.
How Can I Help?
Please call or visit the shelter today. You can help in the following ways:
- Adopt or foster a puppy or dog
- Adopt or foster a kitten or cat
- Foster an animal, even if it is just for the weekend
- Volunteer to clean at the cat room or the dog kennels
- Share this post, you never know who will see it and be able to help
- Dog walk, it helps to alleviate stress for all at the shelter
- Attend the CIHS Book Sale at AL Thompson's and help raise money for puppy transfers, vaccinations, etc.